Hurricane 12 Hour Challenge
29th August 2022 (Bank Holiday Monday), 0900 - 2100, Halesowen Cycle track
24 teams, 12 hours and 1 of the most historic velodrome tracks in the UK. Get your road bikes at the ready for our outdoor track endurance challenge, Hurricane24 Twelve Hour.
Halesowen Velodrome is a velodrome located at Manor Abbey Stadium in Halesowen, in the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, in the West Midlands, England. The 400m cycle track runs around the perimeter of a 350m athletics training track built for Halesowen Athletics Club.
The athletics club was formed in 1939, and joined forces with local cyclists to form Halesowen Athletic & Cycling Club. During the Second World War, the club purchased former marshland to create Manor Abbey Stadium. Due to continued flooding problems, the track was raised by one metre during the 1960s; it was resurfaced in 1992, and again in 2004 by Tarmac Limited (with grant aid from British Cycling).
Hurricane24: Twelve Hour is a four person team event, a 12 hour relay to see which team can cover the furthest distance in the 12 hour time frame, riding from 9am to 9pm.
Please note: this challenge is on road bikes. No fixed wheel bikes please.
Prizes are awarded for the teams who cover the furthest distance; Male team, Female Team, Mixed Team. (mixed team in two males & two females)
Team entry is £250 for a team of 4.
This event is designed for all abilities, from complete beginners to accomplished cyclist. It’s perfectly achievable for the average person to take part in this event, but in order to maximize your enjoyment we do recommend some training.
The safety of the riders on the track during the challenge is paramount. Track rules and protocols will be made clear prior to the challenge, during the challenge briefing, and track coaches will be on site throughout the event. Track coach instruction is to be followed at all times, repeated failure to adhere to this instruction will result in removal from the track and from the event as a whole.
• No more than 1 rider from each team on the track at any one time
• No rider to ride consecutively for longer than 1 hour
• All riders to follow track rules and protocols
• No fixed wheel bikes for this challenge
• Shoulders must be covered
• Helmets and gloves must be worn
• All bikes must be clean, in good working order and safe for use
• Finishers Medals
• Electronic Lap Counter Chips
• Physio Support
• Free Parking
• Pre Event Rider Pack
• On site facilities, changing rooms, showers, toilets
• Free entry for spectators, family & friends
• Trophy for the teams who cover the furthest distance; male team, female team and mixed team
The following terms and conditions have been written to ensure we can support our challenge participants in the best possible way. The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating in any event organised and operated by StuWeb Race Timing. Completion of a registration form or purchase of an entry by (or on behalf of) the participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
1. You must be a minimum of 16 years of age on the challenge day to participate in this event.
2. The team fee for Hurricane24 Twelve Hour is £250 per team of 4.
3. All entry fees are non-refundable. Entries may not be deferred toward any future events.
4. Rider/Team changes: We are very flexible with the registration of rider names and these can be added or amended without charge at any time up until 6 weeks prior to the challenge. If you need to amend any rider details after this stage an administration fee of £25 will be charged to cover costs incurred. Should any riders drop out of your team it is your duty to replace these riders or ride the challenge as a smaller team. Hurricane24 cannot reimburse any monies for riders who fail to turn up on the day or who drop out from your team.
5. Charity Fundraising: We would like to encourage all riders to fundraise for charity, this can be any charity large or small, local or national, community project or school.
6. Participants must be fit to cycle and free from injury. If you have any doubts about your ability to take part including without limitation having pre-existing medical conditions you should contact your doctor to seek advice. It is the responsibility of the participant to inform the event organiser of any change in health, or medical condition which may affect their participation. By entering the event you acknowledge it is a test of your physical stamina and your capacity to complete the challenge.
7. As soon as Hurricane24 start to organise our challenge we incur costs. The entry fees we receive are invested into staging the challenge. Hurricane24 requires a considerable amount of planning and expense and our withdrawal policy reflects this.
8. Participating teams will be able to transfer their entry to another team up to six weeks before the event.
9. Entries cannot be deferred to the following year nor to any other event.
10. Any team who fails to arrive on the day will be assumed withdrawn from the challenge and will not be eligible to a refund of any kind. Please note we are unable to make exceptions for illness or injury.
11. Every participant shall carefully study the rider manual.
12. Hurricane24 Twelve Hour is not a race and shouldn’t be considered as such.
COLLECTION & USE OF DATA
1. Any images, audio or quotes taken regarding the challenge may be used by the organisers to publicise and promote Hurricane24. If you do not wish your photos, video, audio and quotes to be used you must inform us in writing by email or post.
2. In participating in Hurricane24 you agree to your contact details being used by the challenge organisers and sponsors for the purposes of; Promotion and marketing of the event including Hurricane24 monthly e-updates; Being added to the Hurricane24 mailing list for future events; Promotional & marketing material of related products & services from challenge sponsors and official charity partners.
3. Email Communication: Hurricane24 will primarily use email to communicate with its participants. By entering the challenge you agree to receive these emails which will include challenge specific updates, training notes and nutritional information. Should you not wish to receive these emails please let us know.
CANCELLATION, AMENDMENTS & DISQUALIFICATION
1. Challenge Changes/Cancellation: Hurricane24 reserves the right to amend the challenge format, timings, duration or cancel the challenge due to circumstances beyond reasonable control or for any safety related reason. Participants will be informed if any such changes are made. If the event format is changed the participating team will not be entitled to any refund and no liability can be taken.
2. In the interest of safety, Hurricane24 reserves the right to delay, cancel, or suspend the ride due to extreme inclement weather or a major incident on or near the event location. In these circumstances no refunds will be issued and each team entry will be automatically moved to the rescheduled date.
3. Removal of Participants: Hurricane24 reserves the right to remove and exclude any participant from the challenge, should the organiser or track coach consider such action necessary for safety reasons or if the participant has acted negligently, with wilful misconduct or without due care and attention for the challenge rules.
1. Participating teams understand and agree that they take part in the challenge at their own risk.
2. Participating teams acknowledge that personal accident and personal items insurance is their own responsibility that no responsibility whatsoever, shall attach to the sponsors, partners, challenge organisers or any person involved with the challenge, for any injury, accidents, loss or damage suffered however such may be caused.
3. Hurricane24 will not be liable for any actions of any spectators or third parties not involved with the event.